Friday, January 30, 2015

Stuck on You: We Get Married


This has been the hardest post to write (like, so hard, it took me 4+ years after my wedding to post it!).

The wedding ceremony is the most emotional, special, and important part of the day for the people involved and it is impossible to convey those emotions through a blog post.

Plus, the photos are pretty monotonous.

See? It's me and that guy again! Told you it was monotonous!

In terms of conveying the emotion that I felt during the ceremony, I know I won't truly be able to. On a Spinal Tap Scale, my emotions were at a 13. Suffice it to say, all the kleenex tissues that my Maid of Honor had stuffed in her dress pocket and down the top of her dress were completely soaked with my tears.

I'd like to just share some tidbits about the ceremony, from my favorite part, to funny things that happened during those 20 minutes.

1) If you want ideas for writing your own ceremony or vows, see my prior posts here and here. If you're considering doing this, I would absolutely recommend it! It took a lot of work, but it was so amazing having our ceremony be 100% personal.

2) The best part of the ceremony (for me) was our "family and friends vow". I loved our vows, but I was crying so hard that I could hardly breath during them. On the other hand, when our guests recited the vows that they took, promising to do what they could to keep us strong, that was a chance to take a deep breath. And it was incredibly special, to turn around and see our family and friends all assembled, and to feel that sense of community and support.
Listening, raptly, to our guests.

3) At one point in the ceremony, I became a bee keeper. The bottom of my dress was made of hoop skirts and tulle, and apparently, a bee decided it looked cozy in there and decided to fly between the layers and get stuck. My brother, in the middle of the ceremony, walked over and started shuffling my dress around to get rid of the bee! He said afterwards that he had stared at it for a few minutes and couldn't focus on anything else until he got rid of it!
There's my brother on the left, undoubtedly staring down at the bee in my dress.

4) We had written our vows before the wedding. We didn't read each other's before hand but we did have a friend read them both to make sure they were compatible. Now, on our anniversary each year, we bring out our vows and re-read them to each other. Makes us both cry, and laugh, each year.

I had the hardest time getting through our vows. I sounded like an old lady with the deepest, raspiest voice, trying to speak and hold back my tears. 


5) We had friends and family partake in our ceremony, which was so special. They spoke about love; what marriage means and hopes and advice for us.
My best friend's mom and Mr. Pin Cushion's older sister. 


Mr. Pin Cushion's mom read a Khalil Gibran poem.

Mr. Pin Cushion's grandfather leading us in prayer. This was perfect because we had a non-religious ceremony, but still wanted to include a prayer, and Mr. PC's grandfather was so honored to lead.

My mom speaking about marriage. That sent me over the crying edge.

We were so happy and excited when my dad finally announced us as husband and wife!


Pure happiness right there!!

Are any of you planning on writing your own vows? Are you nervous or excited about being the center of attention during your wedding ceremony?

Pin Cushion Flashback:
The gals hit up the salon. Then, the gang gets dressed. We have a sob-filled first look.
Our wedding party poses with kids' murals. And we make them wear fake noses and hold balloons.
The cermony site gets pimped out. I have an emotional breakdown before walking down the aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment