Friday, January 30, 2015

Stuck on You: Food and Words

After the drinks and snacks and catching up had concluded (much too fast), it was time to sit down to eat. Mr. Pin Cushion and I chose to have a buffet style dinner and it was mighty tasty.

f

I piled my plate high with food. And wasn't able to eat any of it.

Other people say that they aren't able to eat a bit of dinner because they are too busy visiting with guests, and making their way from table to table. But that wasn't my problem (tip: if you want to be able to eat at your own wedding, have a sweetheart table so you are by yourself). My problem was, I was too nervous to eat. I felt like I was the hostess at the biggest party I would ever have. Too many butterflies in my stomach, not enough room for food!


Though I didn't have any room, the food truly was amazing. The menu included:

Salads:
*Mixed greens with cranberries, spiced pecans, pear and gorgonzola tossed with an orange muscat vinaigrette
*Fresh fruit salad

Sides:
*Mediterranean orze with artichokes, tomatoes, olives, basil and toasted pine nuts
*Garlic and herb roasted potatoes (nothing like the smell of garlic on your breath at a wedding!)

Mains:
*Charcoal grilled chicken with honey chipotle glaze
*Beef rubbed with smoky herbs and spices, grilled and served with gorgonzola butter

While everyone ate dinner (and I pushed food around on my plate), we were graced with some wonderful toasters and speech makers.


Our best man Virat and maid of honor Ratha both made toasts about what it has been like watching Chris and I in a relationship (Virat has been 'privileged' to live with Mr. Pin Cushion and I for 4 years, and has seen us in our 'natural environment' [things along the lines of: "I have smelled Mrs. PC's morning breath and all I know is, Mr. PC must really love her to still kiss her in that condition!]).


Here here!!

We also had a wonderful speech from Mr. Pin Cushion's sweet uncle, and a toast written by a sorority sister who was in Morocco with the Peace Corp was read.

My parents finished off the toasts, which was a total surprise to us (though, with my dad being such a ham, I should have expected it).


With each toast, Mr. Pin Cushion and I drank from silver goblets that my parents used at their wedding 35 years before.

Perhaps our guests were expecting us to speak, but we didn't. I haven't been to many weddings, so I wasn't sure if the wedding couple usually stands up to say a few words. Mr. PC is a bit shy, and while I'm loud, I don't exactly have a way with words, and probably would have ended up looking like a mime, trying to gesture my way through a thank you speech.

Are you planning on giving a toast or a speech at your wedding? Is that standard? (4+ years later, I still don't know if it is or not!)

All photos by the fabulous Weaver House 

Pin Cushion Flashback:
The gals hit up the salon. Then, the gang gets dressed. We have a sob-filled first look.
Our wedding party poses with kids' murals. And we make them wear fake noses and hold balloons.
The cermony site gets pimped out. I have an emotional breakdown before walking down the aisle. The Pin Cushions get married. We're happy at happy hour. We have an unconventional guest book and give guests strawberry plant favors. We strand our guests without a table. 

No comments:

Post a Comment