Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Stuck on You: Fun with Kids' Murals

Mr. Pin Cushion and I didn't want to be too serious with our wedding party portraits. I debated for weeks about where we should take our photos. Getting married in Santa Cruz meant I could choose from beautiful beaches, redwood forests or rolling hills. After considering each of these places, I was left thinking, "Well, that's not very fun."

Which is how we ended up taking our photos at my elementary school. In front of murals that were painted by seven and eight year olds. Because seven and eight year olds know how to have fun (and how to use color!).



We jumped around from mural to mural taking photos. Ceramic birds stuck into stucco walls? Check. The wind incarnate blowing above our heads? Got it.




Our goal of being "non serious" and "fun" lead to more casual photos. I was not preoccupied (or even aware) of who was standing where or next to whom. Which means that in photos like the one above, our wedding party is completely mixed up (best man over yonder to the right, on 'my side', maid of honor being the nice lady with the killer calves on the left, you get the picture). Looking back, I'm tickled that it worked out like this because we both loved everyone in the wedding party, and with the co-mingling, it felt more like "our wedding party", rather than "his people" and "my people."

It's all about the co-mingling people. And the love. Oh yeah, and the fun too.



Onward and upward. Literally. To a space mural. With flying ballerinas and apes.



And even though I didn't end up taking photos in an actual redwood forest, I got the awesome alternative of a painted redwood forest.


This is the most serious face I could muster.
You can see my right cheek pulling into a smile. Too much happiness to contain.






I think that hawk is trying to attack Mr. Pin Cushion's head.



We had such a great time with all the murals. Kids' art is the best! There are more non-serious photos coming up, this time with fun props.

There are limitless options for photo shoot locations. I'd love to hear yours! Are you taking your photos somewhere out-of-the box? Are you choosing a beautiful, romantic setting? A movie theater? An In-N-Out burger joint?

All photos taken by the fabulous Steep Street Photography

Pin Cushion Flashback:
The gals hit up the salon. The, the gang gets dressed. We have a sob-filled first look.

No comments:

Post a Comment