Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Musical "Discussions"

Pre-wedding (obviously), the Pin Cushion spent some time searching the interwebs to find suggestions for less-than-traditional songs for our ceremony. What did I stumble upon but a Weddingbee post? Mrs. Peppermint's post from 3 years ago, "Non Traditional Ceremony Music", was a treasure trove of suggestions. People are still leaving comments and song choices 3 years later. Impressive, Mrs. Peppermint. Very impressive.

After a morning filled with heated musical debate, a few (not-too-willingly-made) compromises, and many many Youtube videos watched, we created our ceremony playlist. 

Here are the songs we chose to have playing while guests were being seated.
"Going to the Chapel" by The Dixie Cups

"Love and Marriage" by Ol' Blue Eyes. My mom lovingly demanded we include this in our wedding. She recommended it as our first song. We declined. And yes, this is the opening song for "Married with Children." We brought nothin' but class to our wedding . . .

"When I'm 64" by The Beatles. This was a contender for my processional song (the mister's choice), but eventually lost the race to another song (though Mr. Pin Cushion argued his case strongly, even bringing up hanging chads and unethical polling practices [like the bride having veto privileges]).

"That's Amore" by Dean Martin. Another Mama Pin Cushion suggestion. Plus, it's a song about pizza. . . mmm . . .

"Happy Together" by The Turtles. I love this song. It's my go-to shower singing song.

"All You Need is Love" by The Beatles. Classic.

"You Send Me" by Sam Cooke. Another contender for my processional song (my choice).

We then had to figure out the processional songs for the wedding party and for me. Our "debate" and "discussions" might have veered into the "argument" category a few times at this point, but only momentarily. These were big decisions, and Mr. Pin Cushion and I had strong opinions, which it seems, neither of us wanted to do much compromising on!

We finally managed to choose The Beach Boys, "God Only Knows" as our bridal party processional music. This was only after it was vetoed as our first dance song by Mr. PC (he's didn't like that the first lyrics are "I may not always love you . . ." [if you keep listening, it's actually a romantic song]).

And after too many hours, we decided on my processional song. It's been used before, but that didn't diminish our love for it. The guitar intro kills me every time.
"Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles

I didn't notice until just now that we have no new songs. Like no songs made in the last 4 decades. I guess we're not the musical hipsters I had thought we were  . . .

Please share your suggestions for ceremony music! I know that WeddingBee was an invaluable resource for coming up with our playlist, so maybe we can get some new recommendations up for people to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment