Friday, March 5, 2010

How to (Sort of) Sew in (Fairly) Straight Lines

I got a sewing machine for Christmas last year. It's pretty nifty. It's called the BROTHER CE-4000 (sounds more magical than a Nimbus 3000, doesn't it? [With a name like that, why can't it just finish all my sewing project for me, like a little sewing robot]).

[Source]

My extensive sewing experience involves helping my mom carry around her old machine, which is 50 years old and is approximately the weight of a full grown elephant. And that's it. Impressive, I know. But I'm not one to let my complete ineptitude or lack of (any) experience deter me from a project. So, with the idea of making our own napkins for the wedding, I set to work on my first sewing project (with plenty of help from YouTube videos telling me things like: 1) how to turn on my sewing machine and 2) how to thread my sewing machine).

I found some cute red and white striped fabric from Ikea to fit the picnic vibe we're aiming for (I only noticed its canvas like quality after I bought it [it'll just be a bit of extra exfoliation for our guests, free of charge]). As for size, Mr Pincushion and I thought we didn't need 'full size napkins' (which seem to be about 18" squares), so we measured our own laps and decided 12" squares should be a-okay.

And then I cut and cut and cut. Considering the fabric was 5 feet wide, this step took up an entire room (I worked on the floor [don't worry, it was post-Swiffering]).

I followed this basic tutorial from The Purl Bee. I made a few alterations to the tutorial (and by alterations, I mean I cut out a few steps, because let's face it, I cut corners sometimes [which is particularly ironic, because in this instance, I cut corners by physically not cutting the corners of the napkins]). The recipe for the napkins pretty much goes as follows:
1. Cut squares.
2. Iron squares.
3. Sew squares. Optional: try to sew in a straight line.

Step 2 was the worst. My super-mom heard of my ironing sorrows, and when I was home for a weekend, she woke up early and ironed nearly all of the napkins before I had even wiped the eye boogers from the corners of my eyes. I then spent most of a day sewing up the edges of the napkins that my ironing fairy prepped for me. And when I finished, I sat back, admired my handiwork and gave myself a hearty pat on the back for finishing my first DIY project

Now I have all of these left over scraps laying around. I kept them, thinking I might be able to use them for something. More than likely though, I'll take after my mom and keep my fabric scraps around in a plastic bag for the next 20 years and not do anything with them.
Any suggestions for what I should do with my fabric scraps?
Did anyone else learn how to sew, or take up any other crafting skill for their wedding?

18 comments:

  1. A Tech Gadget lover…! Wanderlust of Nature by heart and a tech-savvy by habit... I have written and reviewed blogs on many products. As a keen neophyte, I love to discover new Products and their plus points… Get in touch… Or drop in your queries.
    My blogs:
    Roku.com/link
    Roku.com/link create account
    Roku.com/link account
    Roku.com/link activate
    Roku.com/link activation
    Roku.com/link setup
    Roku com link
    www.Roku.com/link

    ReplyDelete
  2. The entire setting up, downloading and installing procedure would be so easy for you when you visit 123.hp.com. The team has made so easy to download HP printer software to setup your

    printer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy guide for Roku code link activation
    Do you find it hard to execute Roku code link activation on your own? Guidelines are here to help you. Decide the best and compatible device for streaming, refer the setup manual. After connecting the essential hardware, proceed to activate the network. Collect the activation code and enter the code visiting the Roku code link activation page
    Note- It’s important to use the valid page and code for activation

    For Roku link code activation support, contact our Roku customer support techies at the earliest

    ReplyDelete
  4. connecting hp printer to a laptop

    123 HP Setup can give you guidelines on installing the hp printer software on the laptop. Firstly, you can download this driver from the 123 HP Setup page. Click the link over there, and this will redirect you to the software and drivers section. Download the software that is required by selecting the operating system and its default version. Check for the file information and click the Download button. Store this file and double-click to install it. Add this printer to the laptop by changing the system preferences option and then install the drivers for this HP printer.

    Call our technical expert team for further information and clarification regarding How to setup hp printer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you looking to activate amazon primevideo.com/mytv in your device without any hassles? You need a correct primevideo mytv link account in order to setup your device.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this blog. If you can solve the issues of internet connectivity and improve the signal strength by moving the router closer or restarting the connection, then you have successfully solved Garmin.com/Express, and there’s nothing to worry anymore.

    ReplyDelete

  7. To check the internet connection stability, what you can do is try to access the internet on other devices. You should visit fubo.tv/connect page to enter the 14 digit code initially. We are available 24/7!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's become increasingly relevant to events due to the need to engage attendees virtually If done correctly it can be an incredibly effective method. event marketing and ice breakers for virtual meetings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although FuboTv started out its ride by using merchandising sports, in particular soccer, now they cater channels of each and every sort; consequently you want to choose for Fubotv activate code to watch.You can pick out to take a look at with their selections for sports, and all you want to do is to get FuboTV Connect Code to watch on your TV. fubotv activate code

    ReplyDelete