Monday, May 10, 2010

Color me Happy

I'm going to show you guys something. It's the inspiration board for Mr. Pin Cushion's and my wedding. But there is something else I have to tell you. It was a solid 14+ months into our engagement before I came up with this board. Before that, I had another board, with another color scheme, and I had even asked my bridesmaids to start looking for dresses in the other colors. But then I had an existential crisis and decided it was all wrong. I couldn't possibly get married surrounded by yellow and orange and red! The earth might catch on fire if I did that. Or dinosaurs might be resurrected.

So I changed. And my bridesmaid's still love me (at least they continue to pretend very well). And my fiance only thinks I'm a bit crazier that he had thought before. And I am much happier.

Phew. Feels good to get that all off my chest. And now I can show you the board (created at Style Me Pretty):

Row 1 Sources: Ice Cream, Fuchsia, Red Stripes (personal photo-Ikea fabric), Liberty of London Fabric, Bow-tie
Row 2 Sources: Flowers, Cake, Croquet Set, Red Dress, Green Burlap, Gingham, Strawberries and Flowers,
Row 3 Sources: Flowers, Jam, Green dress, Strawberry Baskets, Baker's Twine

As you can see, we're aiming to achieve a feeling of: celebration, picnic-ing, summer, other perky adjectives . . . We don't want to go over-the-top hokey, so Mr. PC is helping me use an "editing eye" (a la Tim Gunn) to cut down on the number of ginghams we incorporate. Otherwise, our guests might be smothered in checks.

Our colors, if you ask me, are: spring green, fuchsia and cherry red. If you ask Mr. Pinster, they're: green, pink and red. Those differences stem from something deeply ingrained in our DNA (it's scientifically proven-really!), as illustrated here:

[Source-XKCD, the ultimate in geek-chicdome]

Despite the differences in naming colors, Mr. Pinster and I are on the same page with our vision. After a long long (like eons long) time of perusing through inspiration on line, it feels good to finally have a solid idea about our wedding! But who know . . . ask me next week and I might have a new idea (though I might be out a few bridesmaids if I do).

What brought you your wedding inspiration? Elves? The blog-o-sphere? A favorite painting? Your favorite book?

No comments:

Post a Comment